After a sleepy morning punctuated by a long breakfast, we huddled into a bus for the ad village at the Cavelossim beach!
I never remembered to take pics of the venue:-( Awesome arrangements guys! Goafest ver 3.0 is even better than the last two editions. Hats off to the AAAI and the team that has pulled it off!
Was looking forward to the talk by Jon Wilkins of Naked. (Sorry guys can't upload the seminar pics, haven't yet loaded the software on my new laptop:-(
Naked Notes(not in any particular order or importance)...
1. Communication media is a lot about language and behaviour today. The voice is extremely important.
In India, only a handful of clients and agencies are fanatically obsessive about the brand voice/ consistency. Hutch was a great example. Vodaphone still has a mixed identity/ voice!
2. Jon talked of the Australopithecus Media Man- this guy is separated from the entire creative process(Oh I think I know quite a few of them:-)
- he/she is focussed on implementation(manzil ka ishaara lagey raho!!)
- gets his orgasms from 'pure number crunching' however irrelevant they might be
3. With the gradual and now exponential erosion of advertising power, advertising cannot be a lead discipline anymore.
4. The next evolutionary stage is the 'Neanderthal Media Man'
- this guy is an active activation partner
- he/she is also a partner in the creative process
(John showed an amazing Case Study on the 118 helpline number. Can read the details on afaqs here
- he believes in amplification through localization
- and deeper engagement(shared the hilarious and hugely effective Vindaloo case study. Tried to find the video on youtube in vain. Satish - help!
5. And finally at the fore-front of evolution is the 'Modern Media Man'. Yet to be born in India- my guess!
- this guy is a total brand communication thinker. Actually he/she may not be a media person at all.
- steeped into IMC- not as a word on power-point but into his DNA and thinking.
- believes into and roots for a core creative idea, not a media buyer, seller or implementation guy.
Jon shared a case study of a chai brand - Adventures in a cup(what a lovely idea)
Actually we will have to soon get back to a stage of the media rolled into the creative process, rolled into a department, perhaps rolled into one person era!
This whole new media game is about a brand theatre. Maybe finally the director in the job titles - Media Director, Account Director, Planning Director will have to mirror the skills and talent of a 'film director'!
- this new guy is all about 'integration thinking'
- focussed on the marketing task and not merely the communication task, through the correct channels
Loved his ingredient list for the House of Naked
a. The Warriors - the talented folks who will make the brand theatre happen
b. The Freaks - diverse talent pool
c. Dr. Zhivago - no vested interests
d. Talent Soup - mix em up, mash em up
e. Out-source everything but the thinking
f. Measure Everything. Clients pay great dollars for this.
Well, pretty much the stuff I ranted at my last agency to do in the digital space!!
Thanks Jon, we need more pirates like you at the cusp of the media and creative industries...
Saw the cyber, DM, print and TV work! To my disappointment, print continued to be scam infested. TV, thanks in large measure to Ogilvy had great stuff!
Will share the Scott Goodson notes in another post. In the evening there was a great party organised by Zoom! Food, booze, more booze...zzzz.
India Ad Rant - A mash up of agency life, brands, culture, creativity, design and new media epicentred around India!
When Flash Brands/ branding is here, would flash promos be far behind. Flash promos are single day promotional(invariably price-off) offers...
As I opened my mail in the morning, I find this news on agencyfaqs . The wise men of ASCI have decided that the 'Amul Macho advertisemen...
I was at the adtech New Delhi conference couple of days back. An impressive constellation of speakers. Much to learn and network! However, ...
If you are in new media/digital media/ social media, one of the briefs which you may get from some clients is - I want 1 mn fans! Having a l...
It's been a hell of a long time away from the blog. I feel guilty, anxious...and the fingers feel a bit rusty!! So where was I and what ...
A creative brief is well meant to be brief:-) However, most samples brim with information. Background information. Information about the cat...
Just finished my second cup of well-made Darjeeling tea in my favourite white cup! Ah the small pleasures of life...Getting ready for a long...
I was a bit apprehensive how my son, Neo would adjust to this city shift - Bombay to Delhi. He took less than 24 hours!! Children are that a...
Just saw this new Frooti film on Bhat's blog - http://www.lbhat.com/advertising/frooti-slurp-ad/. One of those clever, slickly produced ...
After 6 years of a sort of dream stint in Mumbai, last week I packed my life and belongings in 105 cartons and headed north to Dilli!! It...
Friday, April 4
Goafest - Day One
Labels: AAAI, Abbys, Adfest Goa, Digital, Goa, Goafest, Integration, Jon Wilkins, Naked
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Hey, this is great stuff! Yea, the 118-118 case study always rocks, but I haven't seen the vindaloo one yet, sorry :(
It's time India had something like the Goafest. There's lots of great thinking out there with not many forums to discuss these ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, good stuff Manish. I've met Jon and think he's a truly smart guy. Some interesting perspectives here
Post a Comment