That's the name of the Guy Kawasaki Book. Love the name - Art of the Start . Wish I would have thought of it first:-) Anyways, what I ...
Some time back I had promised myself that will pen this post about Ram aur Shyam! Well, Ram aur Shyam were these two characters(detectives...
Friend of mine sent this...Cute and funny! Sending it to my mother!!
One of the entities under The Futures Company is Yankelovich - a leading consumer research company that has helped marketers understand con...
At my company, am a part of a 'creative committee'...Currently, we are doing an all office audit of what are some of the creative st...
When Flash Brands/ branding is here, would flash promos be far behind. Flash promos are single day promotional(invariably price-off) off...
The world's biggest agency groups are battling to expand their presence in Asia's fast-growing digital industry. After a series of b...
Was browsing through the year end Outlook magazine, Images 2007! Spotted this unique Naked Eco-activism/protest against oil dependency and...
As I opened my mail in the morning, I find this news on agencyfaqs . The wise men of ASCI have decided that the 'Amul Macho advertisemen...
I was at the adtech New Delhi conference couple of days back. An impressive constellation of speakers. Much to learn and network! However,...
Wednesday, November 8
India in Numbers
Mera Number Aayega
Numbers give a perspective to life around us. While I am not really quant-obsessed, I love relevant statistics. It helps close arguments. Vaidate hypotheses in new business pitches, etc.
Numbers help plug the gaps in thoughts. Hypotheses. And everywhere else!
Some India, Chindia and India Vs US numbers:
1. The median age for Indians is 24.9 years, compared to 32.7 years for the Chinese.
2. There are 17,189 colleges and universities in India, while the US has 4182.
Of course hundreds of them may have dubious infrastructure...
3. 23 mn Indians watch movies daily, against an impressive 20 mn in the US.
4. 86% Indians have access to clean water, in comparison to 77% in China. I am surprised!!
5. India has 32 Internet subscribers per 1000 people, China has 73
6. It takes a company 264 hrs to file taxes in India, compared to 325 hrs in the US.
7. 125 Fortune 500 companies have research bases in India, while China has a whopping 400 of them!
8. 300 TV channels in India in 2005 compared to 112 in 2000.
9. 12,500 single screens in India compared to just 1629 in the US. India has 250 multiplexes while the US has 1523!
10. 108 mn homes with TV sets in India. It's the same as in the US. But while India has only 51% TV penetration, the US has 100% TV coverage!
11. Among the English newspaper reading audience the men to women ratio is 65:35.
12. 7000 homes with people meters in India vs 20,000 in the US.
13.18.57 cr people listen to the radio at least once a week. Each person listens to an average of 90 minutes per week.
14. Indians spend 2 hrs watching the TV every week compared to 6hrs in the US.
15. Rs. 13,200 cr advertising revenues in India('05) which is 0.34% of the GDP while the global average is 0.98% of the GDP.
16. $30mn is the annual market for gaming in India('05 figures, the category is growing exponentially) compared to an enormous $10bn in the US.
17. 1050 movies produced in India. The US figure was 250 in 2005.
18. 11,000 visitors go to the Red Fort everyday compared to 16,000 visitors who troop daily to the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
19. The size of the Indian animation market is $285 mn. The global animation market $25 bn in 2005.
20. Rs. 920 cr gross expenditure on R&D for every citizen. China spends 3 times more and the US 50 times more than us!!
Maybe its a good idea to compile them together...Chindia is a good turf to be experts at!
Do send me interesting stats if you are hoarding them on your server/ hard disk/ CD!
Source : India Today