Popular Posts

Thursday, June 21

Sunday, Strategy and Serendipity

I always wonder how one phone call or a sudden change in plans can change the shape of the day, a year or even life...

Sitting in cafe Moshe at Fab India near fountain, watching the pubescent monsoon drizzle, I just called a friend of mine(who is into film production). It was otherwise a routine, quiet, complete home-chores-on Sunday kind of day!

By chance, my friend was in Colaba. So, we had coffee and a long conversation together.

Caught up on Bollywood gossip. Discussed 3 business ideas(one of my favourite subjects for the last 2-3 years), got some leads on good designers!!

I have realized lately that almost all of my better ideas come from serendipity...Be it a chance conversation, a google talk thread, a news item buried in a magazine section browsed at the airport...

And that I have realized is perhaps the best way to capture good ideas...Over time I have been trying to perfect the art of archiving/ storing/ referencing these random ideas.

Strategy in an uncertain world is a lot about serendipity. Even when handling big and small brands, I feel we spend far too much of out time over consistency. Whereas it would really help the brand if we focussed on surprise and serendipity...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know this piece reminds me of how scared people are sometimes to experiment and averse to change. They like to go with what everyone believes in rather than doing the unconventional which sometimes can be suffocating for a great creative ideas to emerge.

Talking about capturing ideas and thoughts, I have been using Freemind (http://freemind.sourceforge.net/) for about 2 months now and I seem to have got addicted to this program. I start and end my day with this program. And then of course there is black book in my pocket for thoughts coming at odd places odd hours.

Unknown said...

kapil... will check this out. My stupid IT has blocked many of the sites....

will access it from home!
how about breakfast at Bandra tomorrow? sms me