Some days back, a planner friend mailed me this old post by Richard Huntington on agencies vs brand consultancies. You can read it here...
Got me thinking. My two pence on this issue.
I agree with Richard and my friend that agency planners short-change themselves. Rather agencies short change their planners. And there are a whole host of reasons for the short-change!
1. In life we don't get what we deserve. We get what we negotiate. And the agencies(many of us) are lousy negotiators when it comes to pricing our thinking and solutions.
Agency thinking is like web 2.0 services. Mostly for FREE!! LOL
Historically, the price tag on planner thinking has been Rs.0!!! And that explains why we are often not taken that seriously.
2. Specialists vs Generalists. The specialists almost always get taken more seriously and paid better - be it doctors, engineers or lawyers. Our biggest asset actually works against us. Because we give a breadth of solutions to an ever bigger array of communication/ business problems at an ever faster rate, planners become extreme generalists. And therefore never paid that much or taken that seriously.
3. Process over Solution. Many agencies have s simplistic triangle model for a brand solution. Little rigour, little research( for lack of time or money or both). So, even though our solutions may actually work better, and we may be far faster, we get paid lesser.
Money for process, solutions for free:-)
4. Analysis vs Creativity. Historically, the clients and our society has paid greater emphasis on analysis. Analytical skills were/ are still sought after. Creativity was restricted to smaller circles! Where we lose out to the brand consultants is that we are perceived less analytical and more creative in our approach than them. Therefore smaller fee cheques!
5. Investments vs Milking. The little that I know of brand consultants, they invest their monies in their tools, in learning upgrades, in building case studies. Here again, agencies(most) are far less committed. They are far more engaged in juicing the few good planners they have than in investing in the department. In the knowledge economy, learning is a capital investment.
and finally 6. Unbundle. Agency planners can get paid more if we unbundle ourselves from the agency creatives. Well, the danger is that we may end up being more brand consultants than planners but if we can manage the decoupling without losing our creative edge, I think we can up our thinking fees!!
Maybe this topic needs a re-visit sometime soon!
That's the name of the Guy Kawasaki Book. Love the name - Art of the Start . Wish I would have thought of it first:-) Anyways, what I ...
Some time back I had promised myself that will pen this post about Ram aur Shyam! Well, Ram aur Shyam were these two characters(detectives...
Friend of mine sent this...Cute and funny! Sending it to my mother!!
As I opened my mail in the morning, I find this news on agencyfaqs . The wise men of ASCI have decided that the 'Amul Macho advertisemen...
One of the entities under The Futures Company is Yankelovich - a leading consumer research company that has helped marketers understand con...
At my company, am a part of a 'creative committee'...Currently, we are doing an all office audit of what are some of the creative st...
Like most of us, I have been privy to the out-of-work Bollywood actor Shilpi Shetty's bizarre turn-around in fortunes through the Britis...
Friend of mine just sent this Facebook link... 'Bhavneet invited you to join the Facebook group "Thank you Abhinav Bindra- India...
Was browsing through the year end Outlook magazine, Images 2007! Spotted this unique Naked Eco-activism/protest against oil dependency and...
Source: Blaugh.com Source : Hubspot.com Source : weblogcartoons.com